Reading Notes: Ovid's Metamorphoses II Part A

I really enjoyed all of the stories about Persephone and Hades, as well as all of the stories about Arachne. Both of these stories are taken from Ovid's Metamorphoses, which was translated by Tony Kline. Both of these are stories I have heard before, but catch my attention every time nonetheless. Because they always catch my attention, I think that these would be very interesting stories to retell in a more modern way. I like that all of these stories focus a lot on imagery and setting of the scene.

For the stories of Persephone and Hades, I would use more modern language, and spend some more time introducing the characters. I kept getting confused about who was who and where they fit into the story. A big part of the reason I kept getting confused about the characters is the fact that they are using their Roman names. I would probably change it to their Greek names.

For the stories of Arachne and her confrontation with Minerva, I would consider telling the story in a much more modern way, including changing the focus of their competition. I am not sure exactly how I would transfigure weaving into a more modern activity or hobby, but I think that it would be an interesting prospect.

(Drawing of Arachne and Athena, found at Wikimedia Commons)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

Week 4 Story: A retelling of the story of Arachne

Port Aransas... My Favorite Place