Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

I really enjoyed the story about tricksters; The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal by Joseph Jacobs. I enjoy stories about tricksters and other mischievous creatures. I really like how the author slowly leads the reader to the realization of what is about to happen before it is officially revealed. It was a little bit confusing at times since it was written in a fairly modern style, yet some parts utilized older language. I think it would be interesting to have a version that is a bit more focused on the internal dialogue of the jackal. I also think it would be interesting to discover what happens next, like does the jackal then threaten or eat the Brahman? 

I also enjoyed the fairy tale; The Three Roses by Josef Baudis. It was very reminiscent of The Beauty and the Beast, with a bit of a twist. When I was reading the story, I thought that it would be fun to have a surprising twist at the end, such as the mother giving the basilisk one of her other daughters that had demanded many things. 

(Image of a jackal, obtained from Wikimedia Commons)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Story: A retelling of the story of Arachne

Port Aransas... My Favorite Place

Week 9 Story: The Color of Magic